Graphic representation of how #stayhome can #savelives
- Let’s say this is a person who carries the virus, with or without symptoms, by going around life normally will infect others.
- According to PhD Maia Majumder, this chain of corona virus has a R0 of 2.5 to 3.11, meaning one person can infect up to 3, while, the ordinary Flu has a R0* of 1.3, for example.
- This gives us an idea of connections or links that let a virus spread. So a person can have contact and infect up to 3 people, however, these people will spread it over 3 more each, letting the virus reproduce exponentially.
- Following the connections through a chain of 10, the ordinary flu would reach 14 people only. Now, with COVID-19, through the same 10 levels it could easily reach 59,049 people, technically started by one person only.
- This is also because of modern transportation methods, where more people fit in one space, crowded markets,streets and other gatherings.
- Some of these people might have already defeated the virus without knowing, the point is that they would still spread it around while having contact with others.
- It grows around the globe the same way, infecting others by traveling from town to town, states, countries and finally continents, reaching a Pandemic with the potential to reach millions.
- “If you are irresponsible enough to think that you don’t mind if you get the virus, remember it’s not about you – it’s about everybody else.” Intensive care specialist Professor Hugh Montgomery, Professor of Intensive Care Medicine, University College London.
- But there is an alternative to this, and you are the key element. Let’s rewind.
- By staying at home, not having contact and staying healthy yourself you can break the chains.
- Positively cutting the connection from you and everyone else, you take care of 59,049 people.
- This way we let our public health care systems treat the most severe cases without saturating hospitals and clinics, reducing the rates of non-treated deaths.
- Letting others recover from the virus and keeping others safe by not exposing them to the virus.
It’s not about you – it’s about everybody else.